Photo by Mariah Wilson
A New Chapter For Calgary's 6th Oldest House
The Beltline Neighbourhoods Association is pleased to announce the launch of our exciting new community hub for the Beltline in the historic 121-year-old McHugh House at Centre Street and 17 Avenue SW. Home to a growing population of over 22,000 residents, the Beltline has for years been in need of a community space for residents and local groups.
The Start of Something Big with Community Partnerships
As the first of many planned partnerships, the BNA will be partnering with local community radio station CJSW 90.9 FM to host regular youth music events at the McHugh House as a shared initiative to facilitate a thriving all-ages music scene in Calgary. The partnership will activate CJSW’s new top of the line community gear loan PA system built by Calgary-based PK Sound and acquired as part of the station’s successful 2016 Funding Drive.
Members of the BNA, CJSW, MLA Ganley, Cllr. Woolley and City staff - April 7, 2017
Community Partners at McHugh House
The Beltline Neighbourhoods Association is building the McHugh House Community Hub around a diversity of leading arts, social and community organizations.
Want to Part of the McHugh House Community Hub?
The Beltline Neighbourhoods Association is seeking inspiring arts and community building organizations and individuals seeking studio/office space to join us at the beautiful, historic McHugh House to be part of a vibrant arts and community hub in the heart of the Beltline in Humpy Hollow Park at the corner of 17 Avenue S.W. and Centre Street.
We have seven affordable office/studio spaces for rent to organizations or individuals. For an affordable monthly rate we are offering:
2nd or 3rd floor studio/office;
Utilities and internet;
Shared bathrooms and kitchen;
Access to a main floor event space.
We want to hear from you! Tell us why you belong at McHugh House. Contact us here to request an application.
A Part of Calgary's History
The McHugh House was built in 1896 in Rouleauville, the original French-speaking settler village presently known as Mission. It was the home of prominent frontier rancher J.J. McHugh and his family.
The McHugh House is a three-storey brick and sandstone Queen Anne Revival-style house. It is known for its architectural uniqueness — including a gabled roof and a tower topped with a steep turret — and its historical significance to the community.
Frank B. McHugh on saddle horse - November, 1905
Thanks to the local Ward 8 Councillor Evan Woolley, the House was saved from the wrecking ball in 2014 when the City took ownership of the house from the Roman Catholic diocese and relocated the house from 18 Avenue SW to its present location on City Park space on the corner of 17 Avenue SW and Centre Street in the Beltline.
City crews relocate the McHugh House to the corner of Centre Street and 17 Avenue SW - June 9, 2014
Special thanks Mayor Nenshi and all the tremendous people at the City of Calgary, Calgary Transportation Infrastructure and Calgary Parks who literally picked up and moved a house in order to make something special for all Calgarians. And of course, thank you to Councillor Woolley for dreaming big to protect Calgary's heritage and reinvest in our neighbourhoods.
On June 17, 2017 the Beltline Neighbourhoods Association held the Grand Opening for the McHugh House Community Hub to coincide with the first Neighbour Day officially celebrated in the Beltline.
BNA McHugh House in the Media
CBC - May 1, 2017
CBC Homestretch - May 1, 2017
Metro Calgary - May 1, 2017
Calgary Herald - May 1, 2017
Global News Calgary - May 1, 2017
Gauntlet - June 16, 2017
CBC Calgary Eyeopener - June 16, 2017
Gauntlet - June 27, 2017