This Saturday, June 20, 2020 is Neighbour Day, Beltlandians!
Neighbour Day began in 2014 to celebrate the incredible outpouring of support and generosity neighbours demonstrated after the 2013 floods. It has evolved into an annual celebration of what makes Calgary such a great city – our strong and caring communities.
We are going through another uncertain time and it's more important than ever that we connect with our neighbours.
Wondering where to start? Here are some handy tips.
We are encouraging all Beltlandians to plan and host virtual events and try some of the activities below with your neighbours.
Hosting a virtual event via video chat or phone is the safest way to connect with your neighbours this year. Reach out to your neighbours to help plan your event details, such as:
- What video chat tool will you use? (Microsoft Teams, Zoom, FaceTime, Google Hangouts, etc.)
- Who will schedule the event online and send invitations?
- Who will prepare the materials you need for your event activities?
- What activities will you do during your virtual event? You could:
- Share a virtual meal or BBQ;
- Share your acts of kindness with one another;
- Help support Calgary businesses (e.g. order delivery or takeout from a local restaurant, purchase local goods, etc.)
- Make up your own way to celebrate your community spirit!
Don’t forget to share your experience with us through social media by using #yycNeighbourDay and #beltlineyyc!