11th Street in the Beltline connects homes, parks, schools, shopping and entertainment. But it has languished for too long and has been in need of improvements to better serve the neighbourhood. Three years ago, the BNA reached out to the City of Calgary to work together on identifying areas in need of improvement and addressing them. We’re pleased to share that, starting this fall, residents and visitors to the neighbourhood will be able to access and enjoy 11th Street much more safely and easily.
In the summer of 2020, the City of Calgary conducted public engagement on 11th Street SW mobility and safety. The results were clear. Over two-thirds of the combined residents and businesses who participated asked the city to help make 11th Street safer and easier to use for people walking, wheeling and driving.
Overview of 11 Street SW project area.
Major new improvements making a better neighbourhood street for everyone
What do we love about these 11th Street improvements?
- Protected northbound and southbound wheeling lanes are being added from 12th Avenue to 16th Avenue!
- Curb extensions and accessibility ramps are being added with marked crosswalks at 13 Ave, 14 Ave, 15 Ave and 16 Ave intersections to make crossing safer and easier!
- More trees are being added!
- The street is getting repaved along with fresh sidewalks and driveways to allow for smoother sailing for everyone!
- Parking is maintained along the west side of 11th Street!
Detailed design: 11 Street SW safety and mobility improvements (Click to enlarge).
We look forward to the end of October, when the last section of construction is complete and a safer, friendlier 11th Street is takes shape that will connect our community in the heart of the Beltline.